COMBATANT RULES OF CONDUCT
- Pre-registration is encouraged (in particular for the Scholar’s Challenge so pools can be seeded ahead of time) but not required to participate.
- A combatant can enter any and all challenges for which they are authorized and meet the entry criteria. See the Martial Challenge descriptions below for exclusions.
- Any combatant who runs into the boundaries of the list field, unless physically forced, will receive one warning and will forfeit the match upon a second occurrence.
- Any combatant that physically forces another into the boundaries of the list field will forfeit the match.
- Only the victor of each Challenge will advance to the Champion’s Challenge.
- If you are victorious in a single Challenge, you are ineligible for all subsequent challenges, excepting the Champion’s Challenge.
Bear Pit Challenge
Sponsor: The Barony of Iron Mountain
Four bear pits will run simultaneously and be fed from a single set of lines. Each combatant will hold the field until defeated, and the marshal will give the fighter tokens to equal the number of wins in the pit.
Sponsor: The Legio Ursi
Open to all authorized fencers. This is a timed tournament of the ‘pig of the field’ variety. The entrants are split into three lines, and teams are formed by taking the first person in each line. Teams are then sent to a field where they do battle against another team of three. Everyone on the winning team gets a point. The losing rejoins the lines with all team members in the same line to prevent prevent the same team forming again too quickly. If a team wins three fights in a row each member gets a bonus ‘pig of the field’ point and then retires to the lines (all members in the same line); two teams will be called to battle in the now empty field if such occurs.
Sponsor: The Order of Defense
A single elimination tournament for rapier and defensive secondary.
*Exclusions: The Order of Defense
Sponsor: Master David Twynham
A single elimination tournament utilizing Cut & Thrust rules and weapons and a first blood, best 2 out of 3 format.
Sponsor: The Meridian Order of the Blade
A standard, modern fencing tournament consisting of two rounds with a 4 to 5 person seeded pool feeding a seeded, single elimination round. Fencers may use any weapons form and are not required to match their opponent’s chosen form.
*Exclusions: The Order of Defense, The Meridian Order of the Blade, White Scarf, and members of any Order of High Merit for rapier combat.
Sponsor: Her Royal Majesty Gwenhwyfar Mwyn
A standard, double elimination tournament. Weapons forms are limited to rapier and dagger.
Capo Ferro Challenge
Sponsor: The Order of the Chalice
A single elimination tourney with single rapier being the only allowed weapon form. Katannas and arming swords are allowed if they generally conform to an overall length consistent with standard rapier.
Sponsor: Their Royal Majesties Adhemar & Gwenhwyfar
The victor from each tournament competes in a round robin, Swiss, 5-style tournament to determine the Meridian Grand Rapier Champion. C&T will be allowed if both combatants are authorized and appropriately equipped.